If you have time to make only one batch of cookies this year, I would highly recommend that it be these molasses crinkles. Forget chocolate chip and sugar cookies, these cookies are the essence of Christmas. Like eggnog and bourbon balls, these cookies will wrap you in a holiday glow, and the warm spiciness of the cinnamon, cloves, ginger and allspice will make your house feel like the best place on Earth. Add a roaring fire and a fragrant, glowing Christmas tree, and you've got holiday magic.
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses (not robust or blackstrap)
- About 1/3 cup sanding or granulated sugar* (I used Sugar in the Raw) for tops of cookies
Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt in a bowl until combined.
Transfer to racks to cool completely. Make more cookies with remaining dough on cooled baking sheets.